Gallery/Studio

Gallery/Studio

Why Visit Us?

It’s our job as artists to keep art alive by being accessible, by educating, by interacting with our community and sharing information. Studio M is about meeting the artists, seeing them in action, wandering around their studios, and experiencing that world apart where the artist pauses to envision and create. It’s a richer and more personal experience than your typical gallery visit.Come see us, we would love to share our work, get your feedback, create something for or with you.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Life's Illusions- the Inner thoughts of Becky Fried




1.Tell me about your work? What or who influences you and why create what you create.

I have two distinct styles of work, “Contemporary Landscape” using palette knife for creating texture and “Abstract Illusion” that I present in the form of oil painting or collage mixed media.

I enjoy En plein air (a French expression which means “in the open air” and describes the act of painting outdoors) where I make small studies to later bring to the studio for creating larger landscapes. I have always appreciated the beauty of the landscape and I hope to show its magnificent color in a contemporary manner.

I happened upon Abstract Illusion as a natural progression from abstract drawing I began as a small child. I am most interested in the work of the abstract illusionists, a movement that came into prominence in the United States during the mid 1970’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_Illusionism , including artist George D. Green.

2. You worked in other careers. How has your previous work life influence your art?

I completed a corporate career focusing in Project Management for data processing and banking operations. Both were mathematically driven and I’ve been told by art academia that my abstract work has a mathematical component. I agree there is a patterning of sort; the beginning of mathematical learning. I continue to investigate the parallel through self study and publications explaining the connection.

3. What are you working on now?

During the warmer months of the year, I focus on studio work either creating landscape paintings from studies or new abstract paintings. Currently, I’m investigating the use of a “retro” palette for an abstract butterfly…coming soon.
4. What do you see as your greatest challenge as an artist?

Using my internal voice to create what is unique to me; keeping the focus of my work while there are so many outside “life” distractions.

5. If you could give one piece of advice to anyone who wants to create for a career, what would it be?

Be diligent, work every day to move closer to your goals. Decide what kind of artist you’ll be, understand that art is a journey and your journey will not be the same as others.

Stay true to yourself, it won’t be easy. Make your work an expression of what you feel or see, decide what YOU “have to say” through your work that no one else in this world can say.


No comments:

Post a Comment